Mannington Mills, the market leading manufacturer of fine flooring, has partnered with Microban® International to introduce antimicrobial technology into its range of ADURA® tiles, making cleaning far easier and extending the time between each clean. Zach Zehner, President of Mannington Residential, explains the importance of establishing this partnership, and how it is an important step for this pioneering and innovation-driven company, as well as for the whole flooring market.
The Company: Mannington Mills
Mannington Mills is a privately held and family-owned company that has evolved since 1915 to become one of the world-leading manufacturers of fine flooring. The US-based company manufactures residential and commercial sheet vinyl, luxury vinyl, laminate, resilient and hardwood floors, as well as carpet and rubber under the Mannington Residential, Mannington Commercial, Amtico and Burke brands. Mannington Mills remains committed to quality, customer satisfaction and innovative manufacturing, with a wealth of award-winning product designs, state-of-the-art processes and industry-leading programs.
The Challenge: Transferring microbes by foot
The floor is different in every room of our homes, workplaces, schools and hospitals, depending on the beneficial properties of the finish – including style and durability – that the customer feels would best serve the application. The popular choice in living areas and bedrooms is carpet, luxury vinyl tiles (LVT) in bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms where there are likely to be spills and greater humidity, solid hardwood in commercial and retail premises, and laminate in healthcare settings where cleanliness is critical. Whatever the choice, 90% of consumers really just want a floor that is easy to clean, primarily because flooring is exposed to dirt and a whole host of microbes carried on our shoes and feet. High-traffic environments like shopping centers and hospitals see hundreds, or even thousands, of people each day and, in a study carried out by the University of Arizona, 96% of shoes were found to be contaminated with fecal bacteria, as well as an array of other microorganisms. The study revealed that the bacteria could be tracked over a long distance after contamination, and the transfer rate – for example, on to clean surfaces – was 90-99%.
The Solution: Acquiring to protect
In 2020, Mannington Mills acquired Pharr Fibers and Yarns, and Phenix Flooring, companies that had already been in valued relationships with Microban since 2016. At the start of 2021, Mannington took this a step further to exclusively partner with Microban to offer its range of ADURA LVT and sheet vinyl products, coated with patented antimicrobial technology that helps prevent the build-up of microbes. Zach explained: “In Mannington’s research, almost 90 % of consumers responded that they want a floor that helps to keep their home cleaner. It didn't take us long to see that Microban was the right partner for us to deliver this demand. Having antimicrobial technology in our ADURA Selling Solution range is a very exciting development that gives an added peace of mind to our customers. We are extremely impressed with the technology’s performance and efficacy, and pleased to have a worldwide leading brand on our products in the flooring market. We are very happy with our ongoing relationship with Microban and, moving forward, we are looking at how we can extend our portfolio to include other constructions like wood and laminate flooring.”
A lasting protection
Microban proprietary technology is built into the coating of the wear layer of the flooring, and is designed to be a lifetime proactive measure that never wears away and continuously keeps the floor surface cleaner. Zach continued: “Now, more than ever, the key consumers’ concern is around the cleanliness of their homes, businesses and workplaces. The addition of antimicrobial properties in our ADURA line provides a unique benefit to Mannington customers, keeping the surfaces 99% cleaner than untreated floors, and helps fight the growth of bacteria, mold and mildew 24/7. Having Microban in our products also really simplifies things for the retailer and, for the customer, there is a choice of different modern style constructions to reflect the latest home trends.”
Benefits of Mannington Mills flooring with built-in Microban® antimicrobial technology
- Mannington customers benefit from the unique selling point of complete product protection for flooring that stays cleaner in between cleans. While not a substitute for regular cleaning, the added protection from Microban helps prevent the growth of microbes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- With Microban, Mannington’s ADURA LVT and sheet vinyl products are protected against the growth of potentially degrading microbes, serving to extend the lifetime of flooring.
- Including Microban antimicrobial additives into the manufacturing of flooring products ensures that it becomes an inherent feature and won’t wash off or wear away, even after extensive use, to last the expected lifetime of the product.
- Mannington’s ADURA range is designed to keep that brand-new feeling for longer. This is achieved by a combination of Microban technology and the features in different layers of the tiles. The ScratchResist® wear layer – the most scratch resistant surface protector on the market – makes the tiles resistant to fading and indentation. The Ultra-Quiet™ pad in the AUDRA Max and ADURA Rigid dampens sound by 30 % and adds to the finish to give a softer feel underfoot.
- The ADURA LVT range can be installed with or without grout, making it a straightforward process. The ADURA Flex, which is ideal for larger rooms, can be fitted in the same manner, or glue can be used for a more stable and reliable outcome.
- Microban's in-house regulatory department and marketing team have a comprehensive knowledge of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) policies to guide partners with their antimicrobial claims across multiple distribution regions around the world.