Microban zinc technologies: ZPTech®
ZPTech zinc technology is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial with proven efficacy against the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew. ZPTech has multiple modes of action, making it harder for microbes to become resistant to its effects.
Products are delivered in a liquid dispersion form that incorporates the antimicrobial power of zinc directly within textile fibers and foams, making it a very durable antimicrobial. ZPTech dispersions are offered in both aqueous and non-aqueous carriers; non-aqueous dispersions are ideal for foam manufacturing processes that cannot tolerate significant quantities of water.
The benefits of ZPTech zinc antimicrobial technologies
- Low solubility: ZPTech antimicrobial zinc technology offers a low solubility (8 ppm), making it a very durable antimicrobial.
- Durable: Durability testing shows that polymers soaked for 2000 hours at 70°C in a detergent bath containing 3000 ppm ZPTech remained 99.99% effective in preventing the growth of Klebsiella pneumoniae, a Gram-negative bacteria associated with hospital-acquired infections.
- Thermally stable: The thermal stability of ZPTech makes it suitable for use in a variety of manufacturing applications and materials used in moist, humid environments such as cleaning sponges, sealants, cement, polyolefin film liners, commercial cleaning trolleys, and paints & coatings. ZPTech’s high thermal stability – up to 235°C – makes it suitable for use in a variety of textile dyeing and pad finishing applications, including those that must be applied at high heat.
- Works 24/7: ZPTech technology is constantly active on the surface of treated products. It is incorporated throughout the material during the manufacturing process, ensuring it remains effective even if an object is nicked, scratched or abraded in use.
- Safe to use: Microban ZPTech encapsulates zinc pyrithione in customized carriers, making it safe to handle while causing no disruption to current manufacturing processes.
- Aesthetics and function: ZPTech is tested with each product to ensure all product attributes – including wicking, moisture management, color, color fastness and hand – are protected.
- Stewardship: We utilize low- and no-VOC products, non-formaldehyde formulations and recycled materials to ensure our products comply with applicable environmental regulations, such as Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) and REACH. ZPTech is bluesign® and Okeo-Tex® certified.
- Textile compatibility: Microban ZPTech is effective in inhibiting the growth of bacteria and fungi on synthetic fabrics by up to 99.9% for up to 50 home launderings, keeping garments and other soft goods fresher and cleaner between washes and preventing permanent odor build-up.
Antifungal treatments for mold prevention
Microban offers a variety of zinc antifungal technologies that are built into products such as artificial turf, caulks and sealants, paints and coatings, and cement. These targeted solution technologies are time-tested and proven to offer superior mold prevention on surfaces.
When mold and mildew come in contact with product surfaces, Microban zinc antifungal technology penetrates the cell wall of the microbe and disrupts key cell functions so that the microbe cannot function, grow or reproduce.
Fungal laboratory testing
Microban's fungal testing lab performs a wide range of industry-standard test methods to validate antifungal efficacy.
Samples can be evaluated utilizing nutrient challenge protocols or in the fungal chamber, which simulates environmental conditions using the AATCC Test Method 30, Part III.
Common mold growing on untreated tile grout
All products engineered with Microban® antifungal protection undergo extensive testing in our microbiology and chemical analysis labs. In addition, Microban® technology has been proven effective in over 20,000 tests at over 27 independent laboratories around the world.
Using industry-standard testing methods, the samples pictured demonstrate the effectiveness of Microban® zinc technology against mold that can cause stains, odors, and product deterioration.