The Problem: Microbial Growth on Home Textiles
Home textiles are susceptible to the growth of microbes that may cause staining, unpleasant odors, and reduced levels of hygiene. Frequent use in moist and humid environments makes them a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold, leading to a reduced functional lifetime and the need for more intense cleaning regimes. At-risk home textiles include:
- Bed Sheets: We all value a good nights sleep, meaning bedding is in constant contact with us for 6-8 hours everyday. Excretion of sweat and saliva throughout the night means sheets, pillows and mattresses can become smelly and stained very quickly.
- Bath Mats & Towels: Toilet plume is for real. When you flush a toilet, the dispersal of microscopic particles will get on everything in its proximity including towels and bathmats. The spray of germs and fecal matter can go up in the air up to 15 feet high! This frequent exposure to moisture means bathroom products become a hotbed for bacteria and mold, causing unpleasant smells that linger and build-up.
- Kitchen Sponge: Did you know that there can be spots on your kitchen sponge with just as high concentrations of bacteria as in a toilet? Sponges and towels make great kitchen helpers but they are in a warm and moist environment, with lots of surface area, and they're tough to really clean and sanitize.
The Solution: Microban Antimicrobial & Odor Control Technologies
Microban engineers have created a broad array of technologies that can effectively address freshness, odor management and mold protection in home textiles. Not only do we treat textiles, but we can also offer solutions for polymers and foams, too!
- Compatible With Finishing Agents: Home textiles are often treated with water-repellent and stain-resistant agents. Unfortunately, odor-control and antimicrobial performance can become compromised when co-applied with these finishing agents. However, Microban has designed antimicrobial and odor-capture fabric formulations and processes that successfully treat home textiles and foams whilst remaining compatible with other finishing agents. This means you can offer your consumers antimicrobial or odor resistant home textile products that deliver the performance they’re used to whilst remaining cleaner between washes!
- Extends the Useful Lifetime of Home Textiles: Microban technology works to inhibit the growth of stain and odor causing microbes, helping to prolong the useful life of treated products.
- Helps Products Stay Cleaner In Between Cleaning: For home textiles that are hard to wash or aren't washed at all, Microban can provide an extra level of hygiene and odor control.
- Safe to Use: Microban technologies have a long history of safe use. They also boast bluesign® and Okeo-Tex® certifications, meaning they will work with the most sustainable textile manufacturing processes.