Put Bacteria to Bed
There’s nothing like a good night’s sleep. Giving your body a chance to rest and your mind time to reset is crucial to a healthy lifestyle – boosting energy levels, improving brain function, and even helping with weight management. It’s recommended that adults get a full 8 hours of sleep each night, which equates to humans spending around one-third of their life sleeping.
Setting yourself up with a nighttime routine and quality bedding are key factors in prioritizing quality sleep. With one-third of your life wrapped up in bedding, choosing quality materials and maintaining a clean, peaceful environment can aid in a fresher sleep experience.
Just How Clean Is Your Bedding?
The spectrum of habits when it comes to washing bedding is vast: it’s either a regular part of your diligent weekly cleaning routine, or – be honest with yourself – you can’t remember the last time your sheets saw the inside of a washing machine.
While it’s recommended that sheets and pillowcases get a weekly wash, most people only manage to do so once a month. By that time, sheets can accumulate 11.32 million CFU per square inch ! In a 2020 survey, 30% of people admitted to only washing their sheets once a year.
From all the time spent in our beds, sweat, drool, oils from skin and hair products, and more can lead to the buildup of bacteria each sleep in between washes, and that’s all without inputs from furry friends. Pets can contribute a host of additional contaminants to our cozy beds. For families with kids or other house guests, the task to keep sheets clean regularly can be even more burdensome and is much more likely to get pushed aside.
One way to help consumers combat the endless cycle of bacteria growth on bedding is to manufacture sheets, pillowcases, and more with built-in antimicrobial technology.
What Are Antimicrobial Bedsheets?
Antimicrobial bedsheets are manufactured with a built-in antimicrobial solution that is seamlessly integrated into the fabric. This treatment can be applied across an array of bedding and other home textiles to provide an inherent layer of product protection against the inevitable bacteria growth from daily use.
The antimicrobial technology becomes a permanent feature of the textile, helping to prevent the growth of stain and odor causing microbes that build up on sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and pillows.
The antimicrobial technology becomes a permanent feature of the textile, helping to prevent the growth of stain and odor-causing microbes that build up on sheets, pillowcases, blankets, and pillows.
What Are the Benefits of Microban® Antimicrobial Bedding?
- Long-lasting freshness. Antimicrobial bedding stays cleaner and fresher in between cleanings with a technology that’s active 24/7, contributing to a systems approach to clean for premium protected materials.
- Reduced growth of bacteria, stains, and odors. Treated textiles have an inherent layer of protection that disrupts the life processes of microbes, keeping bacteria to a minimum and reducing stains and odors.
- An added feature that doesn’t change look or feel. Antimicrobial bedding offers a competitive point of differentiation in the market that addresses key consumer concerns surrounding cleanliness. Antimicrobial technologies are applied in the finishing step of textiles and durably bond to fibers without affecting the hand of the fabric.
- OEKO-TEX® certified. OEKO-TEX® enables consumers and companies to make responsible decisions that protect our planet for future generations. The testing and certification process on which their standards are based guarantees maximum consumer safety and full integration into sustainable textile manufacturing processes.
- Long history of safe and effective use. Microban technologies are registered with regulatory agencies around the world, supporting product cleanliness and adding greater peace of mind to consumers.
- Extended functional lifetime. Bedding and textiles with built-in antimicrobial technology are a more sustainable choice for consumers. Materials stay cleaner for longer, contributing to an increase in durability and reduced frequency in washing.
How Can Antimicrobial Technology Be Integrated Into Your Bedding Products?
Antimicrobial additives can be seamlessly integrated into your existing manufacturing process as part of the finishing process. Bedding and textiles manufacturers who partner with Microban® are able to explore our portfolio of solutions that can be custom formulated to meet specific needs including odor control and bacteria reduction.
Built-in antimicrobial technology for bedding adds value not only to the product itself but to brand image. By directly responding to consumer demand for quality and durability, manufacturers who offer antimicrobial bedding give end-users cleaner, enhanced textiles that bring comfort and confidence back to their spaces.