Create Safe, Durable and Effective Antimicrobial Ceramic Products with Microban®
Ceramic surfaces are a common feature in domestic, commercial and healthcare spaces. The versatile nature of this solid material means it is used to create a plethora of products for an array of different environments. From walls and worktops in kitchens, to flooring and sinks in bathrooms, frequently utilised ceramic surfaces are often subjected to moist and humid conditions, making them prone to the growth of harmful microbes such as bacteria, mould and mildew.
Scrubbing with disinfectant cleaners is an essential way to temporarily reduce the presence of microbes on ceramic surfaces. However, research has shown that cleaning products have a limited residual effect, meaning microbes begin to double in number every twenty minutes soon after a surface has been cleaned and is essentially re-contaminated. Unlike disinfectant sprays, built-in antimicrobial technologies can actively control microbes on the ceramic surface and work to extend the effectiveness of regular cleaning routines by reducing the background bioburden.
Common Applications for Antimicrobial Ceramic Additives
Microban® technologies are implemented by ceramic product manufacturers across the globe, for a variety of different applications. Consumer, commercial, healthcare and building environments all benefit from the added layer of protection provided by antimicrobial ceramics. Common applications include floor and wall tiles, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, showers, glassware, kitchen appliances and more.
Patented Antimicrobial Technologies for Your Ceramic Products
Microban's antimicrobial ceramics technologies can be applied to ceramics without altering the surface or requiring a UV light for activation. Our patented ceramic antimicrobial formulations combat the uncontrolled growth of microbes with unique formulations that are carefully optimised for each product’s manufacturing process. The additive is embedded within the ceramic glaze and delivers continuous protection against microbial reproduction and growth throughout the lifetime of the ceramic surface, so long as the glaze remains intact.
Microban’s experienced ceramics engineers work closely with manufacturers to ensure that the antimicrobial technologies integrate seamlessly into existing mixing and manufacturing processes, enhancing products without impairing aesthetics, functionality or durability. Microban® is committed to delivering a technical solution that is efficacious, as measured by ASTM E3031-15, transparent to a manufacturer’s process and products, and economically feasible.
Experience the Microban® Advantage for Your Ceramic Products
- Microban® is a permanent, cost-effective solution that remains active for your ceramic product's expected lifetime.*
- Microban® antimicrobial ceramic products are inherently cleaner and more durable.
- Microban® antimicrobial ceramic products are resistant to the growth of illness-causing bacteria.
- Microban® protected ceramics help to minimise the risk of cross-contamination, making them perfect for use in hygiene critical environments such as hospitals, food processing facilities and schools.
- Microban® antimicrobial ceramic products are effective against stain and odour-causing bacteria, preserving their aesthetic qualities.
- Microban® antimicrobial ceramic products contain non-leaching technologies that are notified with the EU Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Microban® antimicrobial ceramic products contain food contact approved technologies that are listed on EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) and are also registered with the EPA.
*so long as the glaze remains intact.