Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Reporting to: Senior Technical Manager, North America
The Materials Engineer will provide polymer and material expertise, engineering support, and project management to global customer sales and innovations projects in the Built-In Technical Team from project initialization through commercialization. The Materials Engineer will be responsible for performing work in the lab, attending field trials, and providing technical support for sales and marketing efforts which includes domestic and international travel, presentations, and reports for customers. Internal support for operations, regulatory, and quality assurance is also required.
- Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provides detailed technical knowledge of materials with a focus on polymers and cementitious materials. Manages resin selection and qualification for new and existing products.
- Manages all aspects of multi-faceted, complex internal product development projects and external partner projects to ensure objectives and timelines are successful. Communicates effectively, timely, and at the appropriate level to all project members and stakeholders.
- Formulates, plans, and conducts experiments related to the synthesis, manufacturing, and testing of Microban related products. Prepares literature, reports, and documentation related to project status and/or completion for release to specified customers or regulatory requirements.
- Prepares and conducts trials in the laboratories and plants of manufacturers who are current or potential partners of Microban. Manages the flow of samples into and out of internal and external laboratories, prepares reports and presentations for partners. Provides guidance and recommendations on additives, addition rate, and troubleshooting issues.
- Review product designs for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, partner requirements, and related specifications.
- Investigates complaints on existing products, aiding Quality Assurance and regulatory departments.
- Aid Commercial Team Members (Sales, Marketing, and Technical staff) with technical engineering issues related to the specified product design and/or concept.
- Investigate improved methodologies to increase laboratory efficiency (e.g., instrumentation) or broadening the scope of research (e.g., investigations into alternate antimicrobials).
- Manages multiple high-profile objectives and provides timely updates and communication to internal stakeholders, including Commercial, Innovations, Marketing, Operations, and Laboratory Teams as well as Executive Leadership. Communicates timely, effectively, and efficiently with external labs, partners, and other stakeholders.
Qualifications and Experience Required
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Materials Engineering, Material Science, Polymer Engineering, Polymer Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering from a four-year college or university and a minimum of five years related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
A materials engineering background or specialization in polymers and polymer processing is required. Experience processing multiple different types of polymers is highly advantageous. Experience with additive compounding, extrusion, injection molding, or antimicrobials is highly advantageous. Excellent verbal and written English communication skills are required; additional language skills (e.g., Spanish) are advantageous, but not required.
Must be able to work independently without direct supervision at customer site. There will be extensive on-the-job training so must be ready to learn. Must be willing and able to travel up to 20% of the time, including international travel. Must be able to multi-task, driving multiple projects simultaneously; have confidence and tact in dealing with customers; and possess the mechanical aptitude to understand, troubleshoot, and maintain polymer processing and lab equipment.
The successful candidate needs a broad materials engineering background that is polymer-centric to develop antimicrobial product solutions primarily for the North American market, managing the projects through final commercialization. Must be organized and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.