Antimicrobial Travel Accessories From Samsonite® and Microban®
Samsonite® is the world’s leading luggage brand with an extensive legacy in trendsetting travel solutions. Since its formation in 1910, the company has been manufacturing premium-quality luggage and travel accessories to meet the changing needs of travellers and commuters worldwide.
Renowned for breakthrough research and development, Samsonite® continues to transform the luggage industry with iconic product innovations. Notable examples include:
- Four-Wheel Spinner (2004): Samsonite® developed a suitcase that can be steered in any direction and toted right alongside the traveller. This innovation radically improved mobility and convenience for travellers as they navigated their way through modern airports.
- Cosmolite® (2008): Samsonite® launched Cosmolite® as an answer to the market’s increasing demand for stronger and lighter suitcases. It was the lightest and strongest Samsonite® case yet developed. Its seashell inspired design became an instant success and the collection went on to win many design awards, including Red Dot Award “Best of the Best”.
- S’Cure ECO Green Grey Edition (2019): The “Green Grey” edition of S’Cure ECO is Samsonite’s first suitcase that re-purposes post-consumer recycled plastic waste. The suitcase’s shells are made using recycled polypropylene from post-consumer household waste, turning a material too valuable to be thrown away into a high-quality functional product.
Redefining Every Adventure With the Antimicrobial Travel Essentials Collection
Research carried out by AQUAINT uncovered some disturbing truths about air travel. The study found that luggage can encounter up to 80 million bacteria before it's even set down in a hotel room. This is largely due to the number of people and places it comes into contact with throughout each journey - an average of two cab drivers, a member of the airline crew, and two baggage handlers, to name but a few. With the hands of each person potentially carrying up to 10 million bacteria at any one time, it's not surprising that luggage can quickly become a microbial hotspot.
Samsonite® Asia has partnered with Microban International to launch the Antimicrobial Travel Essentials Collection. This exclusive travel range features lasting product protection against the growth of bacteria and mould, helping to address traveller concerns about the invisible enemies harbouring on their belongings. Treated items currently include zippered mask pouch (interior liner only), luggage cover, backpack cover, packing cube set, neck pillow cover, and luggage handle wrap set.
How Does Microban® Technology Work to Protect Samsonite® Travel Accessories?
Microban® antimicrobial technology is applied to the fabric of each travel product during manufacture. It works by penetrating the cell membrane of contaminating microbes, meaning they cannot grow or reproduce on the treated surface and subsequently die. The result is a travel accessory that stays hygienically cleaner and fresher in-between cleans, allowing travellers to rest easy and focus on the journey ahead.
Key Benefits of Samsonite® Antimicrobial Travel Products Featuring Microban® Technology
The quality of Samsonite® travel accessories are never compromised. Each product has been put through rigorous quality control tests, both by Samsonite® and its trusted technology partners.
- Protected against the growth of degrading bacteria and mould
- Resistant to stains and odours caused by microbes
- Remain cleaner in-between cleaning
- Easier to keep clean
- More durable and longer-lasting
- Contain a registered antimicrobial technology that has a long history of safe and effective use
- Feature the Microban® trademark - your assurance of high-performing antimicrobial properties
- Provide added peace of mind when it's needed most
Endorsements for the Samsonite® x Microban® Collaboration
Commenting on the collaboration between the two leaders in respective industries, Mr. Subrata Dutta, President of Asia Pacific at Samsonite, said, "We are very excited to be working with Microban International on this mission to provide upgraded product protection for everyday travellers. Travellers take their bags everywhere on the journey, be it through airport security or to the places they visit for stay, work and recreation. We felt that adding Microban® antimicrobial protection to our Samsonite® travel bags and accessories was a proactive approach to helping them stay protected."
Graham Harvey, International Group Director at Microban International, commented: “Microban® is honoured to be partnered with Samsonite® on their latest travel collection. They are a renowned brand name in the luggage industry and their products represent an ideal application for antimicrobial product protection. By offering travellers a choice of functional and proactive accessories, Samsonite® will definitely be helping to alleviate unwanted stresses during every journey.”
Expansion Plans for the Antimicrobial Travel Essentials Collection
Over the course of 2020, travellers can expect to see the Antimicrobial Travel Essentials Collection expand to include luggage and other products. Samsonite® also plans to launch the range across multiple brands under the Samsonite Group, including American Tourister®.
Selected American Tourister® products are already available with Microban® antimicrobial protection. Find out more about the #ATCare range.
The Antimicrobial Travel Essentials Collection is currently available in Asia Pacific regions only.
Microban® antimicrobial technology is not designed to protect the users of these products or others from disease-causing microorganisms. Normal cleaning and hygiene practices should be maintained.
Samsonite® is a registered trademark of Samsonite IP Holdings S.àr.l. ©2020 Samsonite IP Holdings S.à r.l. All Rights Reserved.