Senior Research Chemist - Innovations
Location: Huntersville, North Carolina, USA
Reporting to: Director, Innovations
The Senior Research Chemist is part of our Innovations group and will be responsible for developing new antimicrobial formulations that can be utilized in an array of applications. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating new solutions as well as working with third-party technologies to fuel the innovation pipeline. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Identify new and existing chemistries to meet user needs.
- Develop and commercialize formulations/products that drive growth in key business segments.
- Develop data set to support proof of concept, which includes but is not limited to, stability testing, materials costing, performance testing, prototype development, and materials compatibility.
- Lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver rapid prototypes of concepts and move to development.
- Identify new growth opportunities and technology application areas with a commercial interest and need. Aid in business case development and commercial terms to drive the commercial success of new growth areas.
- Design and conduct experiments, analyze results and determine next steps.
- Develop design specifications for end-use products with sales and marketing teams.
- Work within design specifications to develop and test new formulations.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for all experiments to ensure procedures and results are understood by colleagues and customers as well as to ensure potential marketing and patent claims can be supported.
- Liaise with third-party technologies to assess performance and viability.
Qualifications and Experience Required
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering from a four-year college or university and more than ten (10) years related work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Must have the ability to communicate at various levels of the organization and possess strong external-facing communications; initiative to drive new solutions through various means of source material such as scientific literature, patent searches, scientific conferences, and adjacent industries/applications; must be able to create accurate and robust experimental data that is sufficient for intellectual property scrutiny; have the agility to operate across varying market sectors and applications; and willing to take calculated risks in order to maintain project deliverables; must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications. Must be able to travel up to 20% of the time, as needed, and able to work independently without direct supervision.