Expand Your Paint Range with Effective Antimicrobial Treatments
On a painted surface, microbes can double in number every 20 minutes. This can cause the development of stains, unpleasant odours and illness-causing bacteria that impact the aesthetics, durability and hygiene of a product. In many circumstances, once microbes have begun to proliferate on a painted surface, constant cleaning is required to keep growth under control. Recognising that the ability to clean constantly is unreasonable in most environments, the best weapon against the growth of bacteria, mould and mildew is paint with built-in protection.
Paints containing Microban® antimicrobial paint additives help keep products and surfaces cleaner by inhibiting the growth of bacteria, mould and mildew on any surface they are applied to. Our customised chemistries are incorporated into paints at the point of manufacture to provide ongoing protection against a broad spectrum of harmful microbes by up to 99.9%. The incorporation of effective antimicrobial paint additives leaves you with a paint that can enhance products and surfaces in the form of proactive protection and improved durability.
Common Applications for Antimicrobial Paint Additives
Microban® technologies are implemented by decorative, industrial and speciality paint manufacturers across the globe, for a variety of different applications. Consumer, commercial, healthcare and building products all benefit from the added layer of protection provided by antimicrobial paints. Examples include walls, flooring, kitchen surfaces, commercial refrigerators, hospital beds, light switches and more.
Finding the Right Additive for Your Paint Product
Microban® has over 25 approved antimicrobial technologies that can be applied to thermoplastic, thermosetting and other cross-linked or cured paints & coatings. Antimicrobial chemistries are carefully chosen for their desired efficacy (antibacterial, antifungal, antialgae), regulatory compliance (US EPA, EU BPR, food contact), properties (thickness of coating, coating chemistry) and service conditions (light exposure, cleaning solvents, abrasiveness in use). In addition, delivery approaches, such as the use of granular, powdered and liquid masterbatches, can be tuned to allow seamless incorporation into your manufacturing process without causing discolouration or affecting the final finish.
The world class research & development team at Microban® includes experienced microbiologists and chemists who work directly with partners to identify the best possible solutions for their paint products. More than 40,000 tests are conducted annually at our state-of-the-art laboratory facility and our team stands behind the efficacy of each application.
Experience the Microban® Advantage for Your Paint Products
- Microban® is a permanent, cost-effective solution that remains active for your paint product's expected lifetime.
- Microban® protected paints help minimise the risk of cross-contamination, making them perfect for use on surfaces in hygiene critical environments such as hospitals, food processing facilities and schools.
- Microban® protected paints will resist the growth of unsightly mould and mildew. This makes them perfect for use in moist or humid environments, such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Microban® antimicrobial paint protection contains non-leaching technologies that are notified with the EU Biocidal Products Regulation (BPR) and the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Microban® antimicrobial paint protection contains food contact approved technologies that are listed on EFSA (European Food Safety Authority) and are also registered with the EPA.
- Microban® antimicrobial paint additives have been proven to prolong the shelf-life of paint products. Their efficacy against bacteria and mould helps to minimise the risk of premature paint degradation, ensuring paints remain usable and for longer.